Join the Valley SBDC and the Lexington-Rockbridge Chamber of Commerce for a virtual workshop during Lunch, and learn about of the use and protection of trademarks for your business:
- how trademarks, domain names, and business name registrations all differ
- critical factors in selecting a trademark that will be federally registrable and legally protectable
- clearance searches and whether to use an attorney, and impact of "cease-and-desist" letters
- federal application process and the role of the USPTO
- how to avoid "scams" perpetrated by companies not associated with the USPTO
- what happens after registration and how to keep a registration alive
Presenter Craig Morris works within the Office of the Commissioner for Trademarks in the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) in Alexandria, Virginia. He is currently the Managing Attorney for Trademark Educational Outreach, spearheading the effort for increased USPTO educational activities in the area of trademark fundamentals. For 14 years prior, he was the Managing Attorney for the Trademark Electronic Application System, focusing on making the Trademark Operation a total e-government environment. Mr. Morris has been with the USPTO since 1983, previously serving as a Law Office Examining Attorney, Senior Attorney, and Managing Attorney.
One hour program is hosted by the Virginia SBDC Network using Zoom. Register in advance here to receive the secure login for Zoom. The ZOOM link will be in your email reminder 24 hours prior to the virtual class-PLEASE WATCH FOR IT!!