Learn. Act. Profit.
Thursday, May 23
Blue Ridge Community College, Weyers Cave VA.
This full-day conference provides professional development and networking opportunities to entrepreneurs, managers, and business owners.
Bookmark this page and watch the Agenda grow as our day fills with speakers to motivate and inform and workshops focusing on all the topics of interest and issues of importance to your business.
8:00 Check-in. Networking & Light Breakfast
8:30 Opening Session: "You May be More Successful Than you Think!
Rediscover why you became an entrepreneur and how to get more joy out of running your own business!
Speaker: Kirk Bates of Market 248 (www.market248.com)
9:45-11:00 Concurrent Workshops
• Alternative Business Financing (after you take the friends and family route). Jayne Armstrong, US Small Business Administration, Scott Parsons; Virginia Small Business Financing Authority; Elizabeth Wilson, Business Finance Group; Christina Cain, Staunton Creative Community Fund
• Technology Management for Non-Tech Managers. Ian MacRae, E-N Computers
• Growing Pains: what are the magic employee numbers? Susan Grossman, SPHR, Society for Human Resource Management
• The Power of Graphic Design: taking visuals to the next level. Jaye Brumfield, The Hatchery Design Company
Bring samples of your own business cards, flyers and logos to get professional feedback during the session!
11:15-12:00 Concurrent Workshops
• Everything You Need to Know about Business Insurance—but didn’t know to ask. Troy Suter, CPCU, LD&B Financial Services
• Credit Policy & Procedures: best practices to save time, trouble, and $$. Dan Fraser, Beam Brothers Trucking; Greg Godsey, Union First Market Bank
• LinkedIn for Business: practical tips for expanding your business-to-business presence. William Roy, Immerge Technologies
• Boomers are from Mars, X’ers are from Venus, and Millennials are a Newly Discovered Planet: Leadership for the “AGES”. Andrew Ansoorian, Shenandoah County Public Schools
1:15-2:30 Concurrent Workshops
• Selling Made Easy. Really! Lee Simon, Small Business Development Center
• Success in the Online Marketplace. William Roy, Immerge Technologies
• Your Bottom Line: What the Healthcare Law Means for Your Small Business. Emma Hollister, Small Business Majority; Erin Steigleder, Virginia Consumer Voices
• Local Advertising: how to make it work. Bridgett Knupp, Clear Channel Media; Steve Turner, Daily News-Record
2:45-3:30 Concurrent Workshops
• Site Selection: navigating lease options and terms. David Denman, Cottowood Commercial
• What the Lender Sees: reading your financial reports. Misty Lester, Valley Bank; Vicki Shortt, Union First Market Bank
• Internal Controls & Avoiding Common Fraud Problems. Megan Argenbright CPA, Brown, Edwards & Company LLP
• Benefits of Doing Business in the Valley–Economic Development at Work. Dennis Burnett, Augusta County Economic Development; Amanda Glover, City of Staunton Economic Development; Gregory Hitchin, City of Waynesboro Economic Development; John Meck, Rockingham County Economic Development; Brian Shull, City of Harrisonburg Economic Development
3:30-4:00 Network. Visit the Sponsors.
Go. Act. Profit.
We thank the following sponsors for their support of the SV SBDC and for helping make this Event possible
Would you like to gain recognition for your company by small businesses and entrepreneurs throughout the Valley?
Do you want the community to know that you support small businesses and the vital role they play in our valley, state, and national economy?
If so, you need to join us as a sponsor! Read more here.